Depression can be one of the most debilitating experiences in life. It makes you tired, so tired you want to go to bed and never get up. It can be a challenge to pull yourself out of that dark hole. Seeing your doctor should always be your first step in dealing with depression, but there are some ways you can deal with depression on a daily basis. Though it may seem impossible, exercise is one of the best ways to deal with depression.
Exercise and Depression
Depression is one of the most common problems people experience today, but it's also very treatable with medication, therapy and other self-help options. But, have you ever considered exercise as part of your treatment? Study after study has shown that exercise is a helpful way to treat depression because it:
• Increases your sense of mastery which can help for people who don't feel in control of their lives and moods
• Increases self-esteem
• Provides a distraction from your worries
• Improves your health and body, which can help lift your mood
• Helps you get rid of built-up stress and frustration
• Helps you sleep better, which can often be a problem when you're depressed
It may seem impossible to get moving when you feel depressed but that's exactly what you have to do. No matter how tired you feel, getting up and moving around can bring some immediate relief to your symptoms and getting in a little exercise is an excellent way to work off some of that added stress you're carrying around.